Monday, March 9

Monday: Getting down to business

I am an artist. In pure artist form, I write songs that never get sung in public. I draw portraits with such attention to detail that it never looks exact enough to me. My mind is filled with many possibilities, but very few plans. I pour myself into every project until I cannot differentiate myself from what I’m doing. Always chasing the elusive perfection; that is an artist.

Last year I decided to take two of my artistic gifts and form a business. I converted a spare room in my home to a studio and started YL Designs Photography and Graphic Arts. To build my portfolio, I did several photo shoots for pennies and spent many hours editing the pictures to make them look the way I wanted. I didn’t make any money, per say, but I didn’t care – I was enjoying just honing my craft and learning new tricks.

These days I’m realizing that an artist cannot run a successful business. An artist is too personally attached to their product to release it before it’s “perfect”. The problem with that is that the artist is always growing and their idea of perfection keeps evolving, leaving the product perpetually unfinished. Professionals know that it’s not about the craft at all; it’s about letting go of the ideals and getting down to business. That is the journey I am currently on. It’s tedious, but necessary. In the end, I will have a successful business where I am profiting at doing what I love enough so that I can do what I love without having to profit. In the meantime, business plans, zoning laws, marketing tools, and financial statements will be my playground. Yay.

3 comments:

Yvonne said...

Hip Hip Hooray for you Yadi!!!

I'm not an artist, so I don't know what my reason is for not already having a successful business(es).

Again, I thank you for sharing your LIFE. You have provided me my daily mantra for my business. "... I will have a successful business where I am profiting at doing what I love enough so that I can do what I love without having to profit."

You are TRULLY a blessing and an inspiration!

Yadira said...

Yvonne!! I miss you! I'm so happy you're coming to the slumber party :) I started blogging on facebook and literally transfering everything over because of one person - YOU. I was like, maybe just maybe she's still reading my blogs. :) xoxo. I'm leaving facebook and coming back to blog over here. It's too stalkerish over there...

Yvonne said...

I'm glad you kept me in mind. (SMILE) Your blogs are AWESOME!!! Yeah, still not a Facebook fan. See you tomorrow.